Periodontist An Overview
Periodontics is a specialty of dentistry that primarily focuses on the prevention and treatment of gum disease. Our dentists provide periodontal treatment for patients at our Buford, Georgia dentist office.
About Gum Disease
Gum disease is a widespread problem that affects an estimated 75% of the American adult population. Studies show that the key to healthy gums is through a daily routine of brushing and flossing and regular visits to the dentist for professional teeth cleaning and examinations.
The leading cause of tooth loss in adults is gum disease. Periodontal treatment is a conservative approach to preserving the natural tooth. Routine visits to the dentist allow your dentist to identify problems in their earliest stages and prevent future damage.
What Causes Gum Disease?
While poor oral hygiene is a primary cause of gum disease, there are a number of other contributing factors including:
- Age and genetic predisposition
- Pregnancy and hormonal changes in women
- Smoking or tobacco use
- Certain medications
- Grinding or clenching of teeth
- Poor nutrition, obesity, or disease such as diabetes
Symptoms of Gum Disease
Often called a “silent disease”, many people are affected by gum disease without experiencing pain or obvious symptoms. Common signs of gum disease may include:
- Red gums
- Swollen gums
- Receding gums
- Pus buildup between teeth and gums
- Teeth that are suddenly loose
- Sores in your mouth lining
- Halitosis symptoms
- Bleeding gums during teeth brushing and flossing
- Changes in your bite pattern